Hi,

> Sunstein talks extensively about information cascades [...]

While not directly related to Sunstein's work, I would like to know if
there are studies about the destructive impact of MLM / "Network
Marketing" activity on social networks.

Every community I've seen so far, be it offline or online, be it Usenet,
forums, or websites using social networking, has been plagued by these
locusts. And usually, they quickly destroy trust among the community
members and degrade the overall quality of the community experience.

The problem is that MLM distributors deliberately misunderstand social
networking tools as the "ideal" tool for their trade, trying to recruit
new distributors for their downline by exploiting relationships among
the network.

Has there been any sociological research on this topic?

Thanks,

Hanno

--
Hanno Müller, Dipl.-Inform.