I do not know about Diamond, but Gerhard Lenski has extensive material on
this which DOES include real comparisons. See, for example, his textbook
Human Societies, with various co-authors in different editions. He argues
that the primie mover is the predominant mode of technology, so that for
example egalitarian small bands emerge in hunting and gethering societies.

Also of interest is every networker's favourite classic theorist, Simmel,
especially in The Web of Group Affiliations. Here the prime mover is
societal differentiation, with powerful consequences for both groups
(including organizations, special interest groups, subcultures etc.) and
individual networks, with further consequences for individual personality.

There is also some work on variations within modern society, such as the
logarithmic effect of group size on in-group friendship choices. But this
is a continuous (though non-linear) effect of size; I cannot think of any
more abrupt size effects.

Bonnie Erickson