I think the questions Sam asked are valid. Dennis says "Let's assume the
Special Forces should choose [whether they should cooperate and with
whom they should cooperate]" and he asks  us to say  with whom they
should cooperate.

We need to know a lot more before we can offer any suggestions on this.
Who/what are the Special Forces? What is their mandate? What might the
affects of their cooperation or lack thereof be? What are the present
circumstances that might require action by the army? What is the desired
outcome of that military action? What are the possible ramifications and
implications of various military strategies? What issues must we be
aware of in terms of ethical concerns, public opinion, international
relations, political and economic conditions, values, and contingencies?
Relevant religious groups, beliefs, concerns?

I'm not aware of any "specific off-the-shelf approaches which
'prescribe' how a specific department establish relationships and how
their decision making process and information flows," and I think it's
pretty unlikely that there could be an off-the-shelf approach that would
work in all situations.

Bill Richards