To join the crowd, my dissertation work also does a fair bit of
populating a database with social network information from email, and
then extracting it automatically.

I have a tool at
        http://www.isr.uci.edu/projects/soylent
that pushes the data from mail INTO a database. (Please contact me for
technical details on how we can arrange for it to go to your own
database, rather than mine.)

I also have a tool that will read mail from the database into a JUNG
network. I am happy to distribute the source code (written in JAVA) to
both of these.

best,
Danyel Fisher