Christina,

If you are interested in Religion (especially Islam) and networks, you might
have a look at the following publications of our Junior Research Group
"Islamic  networks in local and transnational contexts 18th-20th centuries"
at the Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany. (Volkswagen Foundation)

We published a small booklet (180 p.) on our current projects in 2002, and
there is the following (first) dissertation (Everything in German!!!):

Thomas Eich: Abu l-Huda as-Sayyadi: Eine Studie zur Instrumentalisierung
sufischer Netzwerke und genealogischer Kontroversen im spätosmanischen
Reich. Berlin 2003.

There are two other publications which  combine Islamic studies and SNA:
Roman Loimeier (ed.): Die islamische Welt als Netzwerk: Möglichkeiten und
Grenzen des Netzwerkansatzes . Würzburg 2000.
And one in English(!): Stefano Allievi / Jorgen Nielsen: Muslim networks and
transnational communities in and across Europe. Leiden 2003.

I hope this helps you.

Claudia

PS: Of course I will send our booklet to everyone interested!!

Claudia Preckel M.A.
Ruhr-University Bochum
Seminar fuer Orientalistik und Islamwissenschaften
"Islamic networks in local and transnational contexts (18th-20th centuries)
/ GB 2/137
Universitätsstr. 150
44780 Bochum
Germany