        From: Christina Prell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent: Tue 3/2/2004 5:53 AM
        To: [log in to unmask]
        Subject: advice on reading materials for teaching SNA

        Dear Socnetters,

        My department would like me to teach an introductory SNA course, and I am in the
        process of putting together the syllabus. I would like to have the students do
        a mini-report on "applications of social network analysis," and I have begun
        developing a list of possible topics and readings. I was hoping you could offer
        feedback on two levels: a) suggestions for readings in the topics I've
        listed...readings appropriate for a novice audience, and b) other potentially
        interesting areas that I have overlooked.

        Again, it will be a novice audience and be taught in a Sociology department.

        Here are the topics I have thus far:

        1. Community
        2. Social capital
        3. Terrorism
        4. Family
        5. Religion
        6. Diffusion
        7. Social movements
        8. Internet

        I have begun gathering readings on these topics, but rather than list them here,
        I would welcome hearing the SOCNET community's suggestions. PREFERABLY BOOKS,
        but of course, article suggestions are welcome as well. I will share back with
        the list once I have compiled all the suggestions.

        Thanks much in advance for your time,
        Christina

        --
        Christina Prell