Could I also have a copy? [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Andra L. Dorlac [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Self-paced developmental math instruction

In January, I just completed my Kellogg Practicum which compared three
delivery formats for a developmental basic math course on our campus--in
classroom, in lab program, and hybrid classroom/lab.  We had much better
pass/completion rate and similar follow-up success rates in the subsequent
semester with the hybrid delivery format.  This supports what Hunter Boylan
states in his book, What Works, about using computer-aided instruction as an
integral part of classroom instruction with developmental math courses.

We used the lab for testing via ModuMath software.  Then if the student had
not mastered the skill after reading the text, experiencing the class
presentation, and doing the study guide homework--he/she has the interactive
multi-media software lessons (as well as ModuMath videos for
checkout) readily available, along with the math tutors in the lab, to
supplement the classroom/instructor.  We also addressed study strategies and
used study strategy tools as incentives in the course.  It was even taught
in an 8-week summer session.

I am unable to attach a copy of the report to this posting (list won't
accept), but I'll be happy to forward a copy of the report to anyone who
requests it from me (just include your individual e-mail address).

For more information about ModuMath software, please contact Bob Khouri at

Andra L. Dorlac
Director of Student Achievement Center

Ranken Technical College
4431 Finney Avenue