Emilie,
In fact, there is a lot of research into online social networks, except it
doesn't often appear on this list. (It did appear, nicely at the recent
Slovenian conference.) You should look at the Internet iN Everyday Life
book that I coedited with Caroline Haythornthwaite, plus lots of other
stuff (from web networks to online-only virtual communities.) Sorry, I am
in the midst of starting a new online social networks project, and I have
negative minutes available to help you. But you might also look at the new
4-volume Encylcopedia of Community which has 50 articles re online. Plus
there is much good research into online work networks.

 Barry