on a related aside, here's a site that's going unnoticed but has the
potential to cause serious social harm:

http://www.repcheck.com/

combined mainstream online community/networking with the ability to add
people who are not registered and then 'rate them' (reputation) - imagine
the potential for those with an ax to grind....
-dave

At 02:48 AM 6/5/2004, Peay wrote:

>This email was from an outfit called "ShareYourExperiences", which appears
>to be a spammer among other disreputable activities.  Here are two pages
>describing them:
>
>http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/wordofmouth.asp
>
>http://www.joewein.de/sw/spam-syex.htm
>
>In regard to whether they might demonstrate a "useful approach", I don't
>think I would use that description for a service designed to allow people
>to defame one another anonymously.
>
>Ed Peay
>

>At 06:39 PM 04-06-04, you wrote:
>>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
>>
>>Dear All,
>>
>>Got this, this morning. Odd looking thing - some kind of reputation
>>assessment system. Trouble is the email address concerned is an old
>>one and you can't really get any info without "joining". Does anybody
>>who studies these kind of online systems know if this is sincere or
>>definitely insincere? I can see this being a useful approach for
>>things like small web trade.
>>
>>ATB,
>>
>>Edmund
>

>>######Posting About You######
>>
>>Someone who knows you is trying to share opinions and experiences
>>about you in our online community.
>>
>>The purpose of this email is to inform you that a posting has been
>>made about you at our website.  This is email is not commercial in
>>nature.
>>
>>If this email message was delivered to your spam or bulk email folder
>>please notify your ISP or spam filtering company regarding this
>>mistake on their part.
>>
>>To view postings about you click here:
>>
>>http://1.shyx.us/lx.php?a=search&b=5&[log in to unmask]
>>
>>This website also includes a highly valuable Daily Searching System.
>>This is a simple system in which you can set-up searches that this
>>website will perform for you each and every day. After performing the
>>searches that you have specified, our Daily Searching System will
>>send your search results to you via email.
>>
>>By setting up Daily Searches for all the people and businesses that
>>matter to you, you will be assured to find out right away when a user
>>submits a Experience Request that is interesting to you.
>>
>>IMPORTANT - To avoid future notifications like this simply add this
>>email address to our Do Not Email List here:
>>
>>http://4.shyxp.biz/lx.php?a=donotemail&[log in to unmask]
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>SYEC Support
>>--
>>=========================================================================
>>Edmund Chattoe: Department of Sociology, University of Oxford, Littlegate
>>House, St Ebbes, Oxford, OX1 1PT,  tel: 01865-286174,  fax: 01865-286171,
>>http://www.sociology.ox.ac.uk  Review Editor, J. Artificial Societies
>>and  Social Simulation (JASSS) http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/JASSS/
>>"So act as
>>to treat humanity, whether in your own person or in another, always as an
> [...]

David Carpe, Principal & Founder
Clew, LLC
E: [log in to unmask]
W: 781.674.2539
<http://www.clew.us/>www.clew.us
***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
given nor endorsed by it.