A major difference between online and offline research is that the former
involves mediation, so a communication technology (email, chat, Internet)
is always involved. A second difference is that online often means
distributed geographically, so issues about online networks are often
about how to work, learn, play, socialize when not able to meet ftf, and
not sharing the same local context.

Thus, the research is different because the conditions in which the online
networks are maintained are different, and the reseach questions are often
different. I wouldn't say one is more or less 'important' than the other.
Neither would I say they are necessarily so separate that they can be
compared like that -- we use both online and offline means to maintain a
lot of our ties.

/Caroline

Caroline Haythornthwaite ([log in to unmask])    www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn
Associate Professor                                  phone: (217) 244-7453
Graduate School of Library and Information Science     fax: (217) 244-3302
501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820