Moses --

These two papers examine the structure of contributions to code and an
OSS mailing list respectively.  They both find contributions
concentrated among a small core of participants.  It's not social
network method per se, but you may find still find it interesting.

Ghosh, R., & Prakash, V. V. (2000, May 10). The Orbiten free software
survey. Retrieved June 6, 2002, from
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issues5_7/ghosh
Moon, J. Y., & Sproull, L. (1999). Essence of distributed work: the case
of the Linux kernel. Retrieved June 6, 2002, from
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_11/moon

I'm interested in the social networks of OSS as well, and would
appreciate if you could send out a summary of what you find.

Jean