One of my students - Ning Yu - sent an answer to Alex this morning.
I assume Alex could use the process/vis Ning explains below to create an
animation of the changes in network structure over time.
Node attributes can be represented via node size/color, etc.
Would be curious to see the result :)

---------------------

Alex, here is a visualization I just generated for a Weblog research
using Pajek.

There are original 5516 nodes(unique Weblog URLs that manually
collected, starting from 4 random chosen Weblogs) and I use cut-off at
10 in-degrees to make the visualization readable. Actually I had the 5
in-degrees cut-off and the main pattern is almost the same to cut-off at 10.

The reason we choose in-degree is that this research group concerns more
about the in-bound link to answer their research questions.

-- Here is a snapshot with full legend information:

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/blog_in_10_0608.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/blog_in_10_0608.gif>

-- Now comes a more dynamic one. If you have SVG viewer installed in you
computer (if not, you can download from Adobe website), open the
following page and you can see some check boxed in your right hand.
Checking or un-checking them will show or hide particular classes.

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/blog_in_10_classes.htm
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/blog_in_10_classes.htm>

-- If you cannot read the file, here is a series of snapshots.

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_1.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_1.gif>

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_2.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_2.gif>

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_3.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_3.gif>

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_4.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_4.gif>

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_5.gif
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/Susan/blog/img/classes_5.gif>

The classification is based on in-degree again. For example, in
classes_4.gif as , only node have over 59.71(well, 60 in this

case) wiill be shown

You can easily make animation using those snapshots.:)

For comparing different visualization software, I never did a literature
review on it.:P But I did tried a lot and find that actually those
famous software have similar function and all can be very powerful if
you really KNOW it. So it becomes a problem of whether it has good
documentation and whether you feel comfortable with the language it used
if it is command line based (e.g.GraphVis). Basically, the more users it
owns, the more powerful it is. Take Graphvis for example again, There
are Perl class and Java library provided by the users. You can find some
social network analysis and visualization tools under "research and
resources" and "tools" on this page:

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~nyu/link.html
<http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Enyu/link.html>

Let me know if you are interested in using Pajek to display your data
and I am happy to help you out.

 Best,

Ning

Ning Yu, PhD student

Indiana University - Bloomington

Allatta, Joan wrote:

>I have 6 months of daily interaction data for approximately 300 people.  I
>also have attribute data on the people.  I want to 'animate' this network,
>showing how the network changes on a daily basis.  I know of Netdraw, Pajek,
>and Sonia but am not sure which would be best for this application.  Does
>anyone know of a paper that compares the capabilities, advantages and
>disadvantages of the different software? Or does anyone have an opinion?
>
>I also want to be able to analyze the networks over time.  I don't believe
>UCInet has this capability.  I am starting to look at StocNet; would Siena
>be the best software for this dynamic modeling?  Again, does anyone know of
>a paper that compares the different software?  Or have an opinion?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>Joan Allatta
>Doctoral Candidate
>The Wharton School

Katy Borner, Assistant Professor
Information Science & Cognitive Science
Indiana University, SLIS
10th Street & Jordan Avenue     Phone:  (812) 855-3256   Fax: -6166
Main Library 019                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Bloomington, IN 47405, USA      WWW:    ella.slis.indiana.edu/~katy

Check out the new InfoVis Lab Gallery at
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~katy/gallery/