Yesim,

You wrote ...

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Social Networks Discussion Forum on behalf of Yesim Sungu
        Sent: Mon 6/14/2004 9:17 PM
        To: [log in to unmask]
        Subject: Egocentric networks

        Hi,
        As I read more about the social networks analysis, more questions arise
        about the egocentric vs. sociometric studies.
        I appreciate if you could help me with some of the questions I have.

        I have a egocentric data set which I collected by using a
        semi-structured interview with firms in two regions. My goal is   to
        explore the extent and nature of the technological innovation networks
        in two regions.

        1. In one region I have 22 firms (%50 of total identified firms) and in
        other I have 67 firms (%70 of total). Is a sample size of 22 firms a
        problem for egocentric studies?

        >  22 firms is not a problem but as Tom mentioned the issue may be which firms did not respond - since you only got 50%.

        2. I was able to collect information  only on alter and ego properties,
        ego-alter relations and their properties.
        Unfortunately I couldn't collect reliable info on alter-alter relations.
        Is it okay to have only ego-alter relations for egocentric studies?

        > This is Ok depending on what measures you are looking at.  If all you have are ego-alter relationships then you can look at counts - ie how many outdegree ties, but that is about it.  Centrality for example wouldn't make sense because you will have a "star" diagram for each ego with the ego being the center and each of the alters being on the outside not connected to each other.

        Hope this helps,

        -scott

        3. I appreciate if you could suggest me any egocentric studies from
        which I can get a better idea of usage of network measures.

        Thanks a lot.
        Yesim

        Yesim Sungu
        Ph.D student
        Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
        University of Pittsburgh
        E-mail: [log in to unmask]