Hello Moses,
there's one paper I know of, "Managing the boundary of an 'open'
project", about Debian's development community , by Fabrizio Ferraro
and Syhoban O'Mahony.
Debian, in case you're not familiar with it, is a non-commercial Linux
distribution.

The paper is called
here's the abstract:
n the past ten years, the boundaries between public and open science
and commercial research efforts have become more porous. Scholars have
thus more critically examined ways in which these two institutional
regimes intersect. Large open source software projects have also
attracted commercial collaborators and now struggle to develop code in
an open public environment that still protects their communal
boundaries. This research applies a dynamic social network approach to
understand how one community-managed software project, Debian,
developed a membership process. We examine the project's face-to-face
social network over a five-year period (1997-2001) to see how changes
in the social structure affected the evolution of membership mechanisms
and the determination of gatekeepers. While the amount and importance
of a contributor's work increased the probability that a contributor
would become a gatekeeper, those more central in the social network
were more likely to become gatekeepers and influence the membership
process. A greater understanding of the mechanisms open projects use to
manage their boundaries has critical implications for research and
knowledge-producing communities operating in pluralistic, open and
distributed environments.

http://wwwapp.iese.edu/research/res_detail.asp?ident=37362&lang=es

best regards,

Mariano Belinky