***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/ ***** Dear Joan,

The combination of SoNIA and Siena could be a powerful means of analyzing your longitudinal network data.

SoNIA was created so users could construct animations of dynamic networks (whether you have continuous or discrete notions of time), browse attribute-rich network data, and have a platform for testing and comparing different layout techniques. Hence, SoNIA allows you to use a variety of graphing algorithms, see the underlying process by which layouts are made (i.e., cooling functions, fitness of distances to graph-coordinate space, etc - so at least some comparison and discussion of "better" or "worse" graphs can be had), and it minimizes artificial movement that arises from animating across successive graphs. The end result is a dynamic network visualization with meaningful movement. The documentation for SoNIA can be found here http://www.stanford.edu/group/sonia/, here http://www.stanford.edu/group/sonia/papers/PiranVizTalk.pdf, and in a forthcoming American Journal of Sociology article that explains the theory behind it http://www.sociology.ohio-state.edu/jwm/NetMovies/. Multiple empirical studies using SoNIA are well under way and already under review.

Siena is a nice compliment because it enables you to analyze the interrelation of networks and attitudes over time (or more broadly, relational and nodal mechanisms). Documentation for Siena can be found with the StocNet software here http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/, the Sunbelt satellite symposium, and in recent Sociological Methodology (2003) pieces by Tom Snidjers and others (see further down on the aforementioned webpage).

Yours,
-Dan