It strikes me that a resource library, via a wiki or a bulletin board like
phpbb, would cut down on a lot of posts to socnet that are repetitive or
 From newcomers.  There is a search function for old socnet somewhere, and
maybe it could be the basis for a lot of resource files.  There is  an
ongoing to get FAQ on the INSNA site.  I don't know if it fizzled.

I would be most interested in the resource section.

Jordi

At 09:44 AM 7/29/2004 -0400, David Carpe wrote:

>okay, just a thought here, maybe we should start with a quick discussion
>about what people want in this resource and then work backwards to select
>the best resource - because maybe a 'wiki' isn't the best thing (?).
>
>to start this discussion (if people are interested), let's say that what
>would be most useful (based on feedback, current activity and ongoing bits)
>will include:
>
>1) calendaring: related to events and meeting coordination, etc
>
>2) resource library: will need to capture articles, links, resources etc
>
>3) profiles: member guide (if desired) with links to personal pages, blogs,
>etc.
>
>4) discussion: maybe some kind of forum utility to post questions? email
>(while recorded) is often ephemeral - people on this list generate amazing
>replies and then they vanish into a not-easily-searchable archive - if
>questions were posted into a forum, then they could be searched much more
>easily, and linked  directly to resources
>
>5) admin control: ability to hand off some or most admin and moderation to
>INSNA to police this
>**note: if done well, this kind of resource could drive membership quite
>well, and so might be worth putting some serious thought into, could in
>fact become the foundation for a new insna site of sorts
>
>RESOURCES: all of this can be hand for free, and set up quite simply: a
>standard blog app (i *Love* wordpress at wordpress.org) could handle all
>news and many links as well as links to all personal pages and blogs via a
>blogroll, etc and a forum app like phpbb (also love this app) at phpbb.com
>could handle all forums - both offer robust administrative capabilites, and
>both are free (open source) and will cost very little to set up and
>implement...
>
>as for meetings, best thing that comes to mind is also free, called meetup
>at meetup.com
>
>however, this assumes that a 'wiki' won't get it done...
>
>anything else jump to mind? thoughts? opinions?
>-dave
>

>At 02:44 AM 7/29/2004, Darrell Berry wrote:
>>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
>>
>>This is rapidly going offtopic, but my 2c worth: socialtext may well be
>>robust, honourable etc, but I would recommend caution with any hosted
>>service which doesn't provide an easy, straightforward way of creating
>>local backups -- its simply best practice. The last thing you want if
>>they go bust/change their business model (anyone else here get burnt
>>with hosted services around 1999?) etc is a long wrangle about who
>>'owns' 'your' data!
>>
>>cheers

>David Carpe, Principal & Founder
>Clew, LLC
>E: [log in to unmask]
>W: 781.674.2539
><http://www.clew.us/>www.clew.us
>***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
> [...]

Jordi Comas
Visiting Assistant Professor
Management
Bucknell University
570 577-3161

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin