If this group is serious about setting up a shared site, we should use a
host like zettai.net and use the Zope/Plone content management system.
It has many modules that provide advanced functionality for cooperative
knowledge spaces (wikis, blogs, email lists, uploads, calendaring, etc.)

As a long time Internet guru I can assist with doing this.  We would
need a Zope/Plone volunteer/student to admin the resulting site though.

-paul