Very interesting!!!

A client of mine is an expert soccer player/coach.  He and I had a
conversation about soccer games and networks many years ago.  We
extended the conversation from soccer teams to business teams.

I also noticed network dynamics on my son's soccer teams.  The first
team was very cliquish [3] and tended to pass the ball within cliques,
even when a player from another clique was open.  Needless to say this
team always argued, blamed each other, and lost most of their games.
Then my son joined another team of overall less skilled players -- but
they were all good friends in school.  They were pretty evenly skilled
and did not have any superstars on the team.  Not only was soccer fun
now, but they won many more games -- even against teams that had a
superstar player or two.

My client experience is mentioned in this white paper...

-- http://www.orgnet.com/MCO.html

> One of the benefits of consulting with organizational network analysis
> is having leading edge clients. Not only are they open to new methods
> to improve their organizations, they usually end up teaching me quite
> a bit. One such client is Vancho Cirovski, Vice President of Human
> Resources at Cardinal Health. Vancho, an expert soccer player and
> coach, first noticed an interesting phenomenon on the playing field.
> Teams that were more integrated and communicated well amongst
> themselves on the field, more often than not, beat a collection of
> individually superior players who were not interacting well on the
> field.
>
> Vancho saw the same effect in project teams inside organizations. He
> has summarized these concepts of managing connected organizations
> using Einstein's famous formula:
> E = MC2
>       ▪     M is the Mastery of each individual (human capital)
>       ▪      C are the Connections that join individuals into a community
> (social capital)
>       ▪      C is the Communication that flows through those Connections
>       ▪     E is the resulting Effectiveness of the team or organization
>
>  The effectiveness of a team or organization is based on personal
> know-how, enhanced by communication, information flow and knowledge
> exchange through both direct and indirect connections.

Valdis