What are the top 10 questions that intelligence analyst ask using social network analysis? This is limited to domain independent questions, about the relationships of abstract people to an abstract group.

ManTech is engaged in an internally funded research and development project to develop tools for social network analysis for very large data sets. We are primarily addressing software architectures and algorithms for data sets that are too large to use in memory data structures for the whole set. We are investigating architectures and algorithms for disk based data structures. We store everything in graph form on disk. To put this into perspective, think a billion nodes and a trillion links.

As I start to review the techniques used in social network analysis, ala "Social Network Analysis" by Wassweman and Faust", there are a multitude of methods in the field. As our goal in using our internal R & D funds is to develop software we can market to the government, I would like to focus first on techniques that are useful for those customers. I am trying to find published papers in the open literature on how intelligence analyst would use social network analysis. Hypothetically, this paper would be titled, "Top 10 questions intelligence analyst ask using social network analysis".

Sincerely,
David G. Boney

Software Engineer
Mantech-IST