Here's what I've come up with in our tutor handbook--not an agreement,
but more an extended explanation, with examples, of how confidentiality
should work. We discuss it in crash training and refer back to it when
necessary. I suppose we should have them sign something, too, but
they've told us they appreciate both the discussion in training and
these two pages of details.

The original, in MS Word, has formatting that makes it look much nicer.

> [...]
>  Have fun but not at someone else s expense.
>
> (insert clip art of a water cooler and two balloons, to wit: "I just
> saw Dexter Wexter. Does that guy ever do any work?" Other balloon: "I
> room with Dexter." So what s wrong with kvetching about Dex?
> CONFIDENTIALITY is not keeping it all to ourselves. We are a community
> of helpers here in TJ s, and we need to support one another in
> meetings, on our listserv, Tutortalk, in our Blackboard discussions,
> and in conversations up here in TJ s. To get the best advice, we need
> to be specific when describing what happened in our sessions. But we
> can do this without naming names. (ital) I worked with this ECO 212
> student who & a typical tutortalk entry begins. Or (ital) I just had a
> frustrating talk with one of my professors.
>
> Professors whose courses you tutor are part of the communication loop.
> They will know what happens in your sessions from the notes you ve
> made on the form. What you say about them to us in Blackboard or in
> staff meetings can be tricky, just as what you tell them about your
> clients (their students, in whom they have an intense interest). Rules
> about confidentiality also impact how much you should tell them about
> individual students beyond the tutoring notes. They are your clients
> professors and what you say can affect their grades and academic
> careers greatly, so be careful.
>
> Generalizing about your tutoring experiences is a good way to avoid
> problems. In your face-to-face or email conversations with your
> professors, summarize some of the trends you ve noticed confusion
> about this concept or that step, difficulties with this part of the
> paper or this section of the chapter& And remember that faculty
> members share some of the same frustrations in helping students that
> you do and in their years on the job, they ve probably discovered
> unique ways to help someone  get  this idea or that way of thinking.
> So reflect on how you ve seen them tackle learning problems with you
> and your classmates. And ask them to share some of their wisdom with you.
>
> Remember that my door is always open. So is discussion in our staff
> meetings. So are the discussion boards on Bb, your on-line support
> group and extended staff meeting discussion. If you are unsure about
> how much to divulge about a client to anyone, come to me first. You
> and I can determine the best way to proceed. You ll also find a wealth
> of sharing and advice in the old tutortalk messages we ve gathered in
> the Collaborative Journals from the past.
>
> So back to confidentiality. As the former WC coordinator (Sylvia)
> wrote in a peertalk message,  Confidentiality protects clients who are
> friends and classmates; in this litigious society, it also wards off
> the lawyers. Learning disabilities qualify as confidential
> information, too. Even if a client discloses to you that he has an LD,
> by doing so, he is not giving you permission to tell the world.

susie

--
Suzanne Robertshaw, tutor coordinator, [log in to unmask]
Thomas P. Johnson Student Resource Center, Rollins College