At 03:27 PM 8/31/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone had experience with magnetic tape degaussing?  The company
>states that all tapes are degaussed in a 4,000 Level Garner Degausser
>once while on the pallet upon arrival and again after they have been
>removed from the boxes, outer labels and stickers removed.  Our ISS
>Department would also degauss them before shipment.
>
>Have you heard of any recovery of data from tapes (these are old tapes
>that have been in storage for many years)degaussed in this manner?  Is
>the comfort level high enough to warrant the monies realized from
>selling the tapes in this manner?
>
>I would appreciate any comments pro or con.  This will help our legal
>dept. to make a informed decision.

My initial question is are you REALLY going to make that much from selling
the tapes after you have expended the labor costs to degauss them
internally and then to have them "re-degaussed" commercially twice, along
with having all of the labels removed?  Given your description of the tapes
themselves, it doesn't sound as if they would have a very high value unless
there are a REAL LARGE VOLUME OF THEM... I'd look at having them pulverized
or destroyed in some secure manner and skip the degaussing altogether.

Larry