A few comments on this glossary and comparisons with the ARMA  glossary.

What a great language English is! You can say the same thing in many
different ways, particularly in the area of definitions. This is very evident  when
one examines the proposed SAA Glossary (A Glossary of Archival and Records
Terminogy(285 pages) and the ARMA Glossary of Records and Information Management
Terms (29 pages). Understandably the SAA glossary is primarily government
sector  and archive oriented (even in its use of RM terms). The ARMA glossary
clearly  addresses the private sector although applicable to nonfederal records
programs.  The SAA glossary is more scholarly in its definitive treatment of
terms, both  application and concept. Its bibliography is thorough and
manuscript  justified.

Based upon an initial examination, here are some interesting points.
The SAA glossary, as evident from the number of pages covers far more
definitions than the ARMA Glossary, yet using "Records Terminology" omits many  the
practicing records manager would expect. In the A-C section we do not find
the following ARMA terms:

accuracy ratio, activity ratio, artificial intelligence, asynchronous,
automatic records system, backfile conversion, baseline, baud
rate,block-numeric,break-even analysis, built-in dispersal, BFMA, carousel file,  case sensitive,
character recognition, charge-back, chief information officer,  client/server
computing, climate control (SAA does use environmental control,  code of
ethics, collating (collage to archivists), color coding, commercial  records
center, computer literate, cold, contingency planning, contextual  information,
crisis management.

I did like SAA use of the term "destruction suspension"- an order to halt
routine, scheduled destruction of records that may be relevant to pending or
current litigation, audit, or investigation. Challenging the comment about its
not being private sector oriented, it did include corporte archives, corporate
 memory, corporate records, and corporate report.

I must confess, with all the definition footnotes it does make interesting
reading and a very significant undertaking. I guess it is a question of
whether you want a quickie glossary or are looking for some explanatory comments  or
justification for terms.

I sure would like to hear some other comments and hope that the SAA will
extend its Sept. 3rd deadline for input. Is there ARMA input on  this?

Bill Benedon