From: Jones, Virginia [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Use of 'Nebulous' time frames

As my old RIM boss use to say - everything is useful to someone for some
period of time. 'Until no longer useful' and similar nebulous terms give
no positive direction for the disposition of the records.  Other
favorites are "indefinite" (is this the same as "to infinity and
beyond!"?), "until no longer administratively necessary" (who/what
determines administrative necessity?), and "until obsolete" (obsolete by
whose standards or judgement?).

However, as Tod said, some records are difficult to pin down.  In Tod's
example, the retention time frame could be phrased "Until superseded by
new or revised version, then destroy."  It's a little more specific.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA

-------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY NOTICE

This e-mail contains information that may be confidential and
proprietary. It is to be read and used solely by the intended recipient(s).
Citadel and its affiliates retain all proprietary rights they may have in the
information. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify us
immediately either by reply e-mail or by telephone at 312-395-2100
and delete this e-mail (including any attachments hereto) immediately
without reading, disseminating, distributing or copying. We cannot give
any assurances that this e-mail and any attachments are free of viruses
and other harmful code. Citadel reserves the right to monitor, intercept
and block all communications involving its computer systems.