I was not going to post on this topic....however...

Indefinite?   That is a cop out.  An indefinite hold should be used ONLY for current litigation/audit, or notified pending litigation or unresolved audit.

Use this tried and true retention policy factor model:

Operational (proven reference need by the record copy holders of the information)
Fiscal (needs of finance, acct., internal audit, etc...; if any)
Regulatory (PUBLISHED federal, state, local regulatory agency requirements, if any)
Legal (general counsel advice, if any)
Historic (archival, if any)

The retention will be the longest of these researched and evaluated factors above.  This business retention policy model stands up in court and in front of regulatory agencies' inquiries; I have done both several times during my career at a University, a fortune 100 energy company, and a municipal government.

Have a good weekend.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/26/04 12:41PM >>>
Ginny,

Unlike most other organizations most of our records must be kept
indefinitely and not 5% as mentioned other emails.  We do schedule for
destruction all records that meet the minimum retention period, such as
Financial, HR,  Facilities and vehicle records except those records that
deal with the operation and maintenance of our fridges where we transport
and store our products.  We are a unique organization!

I had originally used 60 years however it was agreed that we would use this
definition  At least, at some point there will be a review and destruction
some records.

Roger Blais
Coordinator, Records Management
Canadian Blood Services
613-739-2593

Blood. It's in you to give.
Book an appointment now: 1 888 2 DONATE

               "Jones, Virginia"
                Sent by: Records                                        To
              Management Program         [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                        cc
                          L.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                         Re: Use of 'Nebulous' time frames

              Please respond to
             Records Management
                   Program
                   L.EDU>

I realize you need to follow the directives of your legal folks.  But.... .
It seems contrary that "indefinite" is defined to mean a specific period of
time. <Indefinite ... Defined by CBS as 60 years>.  Instead of
"indefinite,"
I would have stated this retention as "60 years after XXX, then review to
determine continued retention to perform investigations."  the "or
destruction" is implied.  Records are usually destroyed at end of retention
unless other direction is given.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager