I haven't seen this study yet.

If you are interested in sexual networks and disease transmission, Martina
Morris has a new edited volume called Network Epidemiology (Oxford) that
presents research experiences of major research teams in this area.  The
book is the product of a conference she organized - Partnerships and the
Spread of HIV and Other Infections, held in Chiang Mai, Thailand back in
1998 (I think).

Tony

At 01:46 PM 8/26/2004 -0400, David Carpe wrote:

>there's a summary of the 2001 study at new scientist:
>http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999913
>(called, "six degrees of copulation" - actually a very serious piece)
>
>not sure to what degree the researchers were modeling the network when they
>were studying the spread of disease within a small community, but
>interesting, there is an online networking parody site that is actually
>attempting to do this as well, primarily in the us...
>
>at any rate, if anybody knows more about this, i'd be particularly curious
>to know how results were applied (e.g. did they really work with physicians
>to identify and communicate with the 'most likely hubs' for transmission of
>std's, or did this remain a dream?)
>-dave
>

>David Carpe, Principal & Founder
>Clew, LLC
>E: [log in to unmask]
>W: 781.674.2539
><http://www.clew.us/>www.clew.us
>***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
>Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
>you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
>delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
>message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
>notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
>employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
>Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not
>relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
>given nor endorsed by it.

Anthony Paik
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology