Paul,

> I have a serious question:
>
> As a scholar looking at spending the next 6 years doing my Ph.D.s, I'm
> trying to figure out where to focus exactly, and I'm finding that many
> people are saying the same things in different disciplines (sometimes in
> the same disciplines) and yet calling it by different names.

        It could be that we do not make progress by design as much as by
lucky accident.  If that were the case, then unifying the disciplines
would reduce the variety of attempts at action.  In any event, in
each of the cases there is a network in which the identities emerge and
that network might not easily combine with other networks.   Realizing
the commonality is a wonderful thing for you, personally, and will allow
you to move ideas from one social world to another, to be a knowledge
broker, but trying to convince everyone to have a common view would
probably not turn out to be much fun.

-Don

> For ex:
>
> Actor/Network theory
> Relational ontology
> constructivism
> structuration theory
> post-structuralism
> post-modernism
> etc.
>
> Now I know I'm conflating some of the distinctions between these
> arguably sub-fields.
>
> "Actor network theory is a ruthless application of semiotics.  It tells
> that entities take their form and acquire their attributes as a result
> of their relations with other entities."
>
> and from Constructivism
>
> "Agents and structures are co-constituted by their relationships."
>
> I really could go on, but I won't
>
> My question is this:
>
> Is anybody making any attempt to synthesize all of these various
> perspectives?  I'd be happy to do it ;-)
>
> thx much,
> -Paul
>
> --
> http://www.panarchy.com

Don Steiny - [log in to unmask]
 Institute for Social Network Analysis of the Economy - www.isnae.org
   125 Mission St #3 - Santa Cruz, CA 95060 - 831.471.1671 - fax: 831.471.1670