Frank Shanty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am a doctoral student preparing my research proposal on the links between organized criminal activity (i.e. drug  trafficking and terrorist organizations. My research will attempt to determine if patterns in the data show a direct relationship or points/patterns of convergence).  My research design will be a mixed-methods approach (i.e., quantitative global relational database of suspected drug trafficking and distribution networks) and qualitative (i.e., two country case studies: Afghanistan and Myanmar).

Although I am very new to SNA my thinking at this point leads me to believe that social network methods of analysis MAY be the best approach to evaluate possible points of intersection between organized criminals (transnational drug traffickers) and terrorist individuals or groups. But to be quite honest with you I am not sure given the clandestine nature of the activity/relationships I am investigating.

Question: Am I completely off base?

I thank you for your time and assistance.

Best Regards,
Frank Shanty