I would be concerned about data quality.  Official data on such things
are often created with a heavy political input...

>>> Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]> 8/3/2004 1:40:06 PM >>>

Frank Shanty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am a doctoral student preparing my research proposal on the links
between organized criminal activity (i.e. drug  trafficking and
terrorist organizations. My research will attempt to determine if
patterns in the data show a direct relationship or points/patterns of
convergence).  My research design will be a mixed-methods approach
(i.e., quantitative global relational database of suspected drug
trafficking and distribution networks) and qualitative (i.e., two
country case studies: Afghanistan and Myanmar).

Although I am very new to SNA my thinking at this point leads me to
believe that social network methods of analysis MAY be the best approach
to evaluate possible points of intersection between organized criminals
(transnational drug traffickers) and terrorist individuals or groups.
But to be quite honest with you I am not sure given the clandestine
nature of the activity/relationships I am investigating.

Question: Am I completely off base?

I thank you for your time and assistance.

Best Regards,
Frank Shanty