Valdis wrote:

> Is there any serious research on the distortion of information as it
> travels along a network path -- similar to the popular children's game
> of "Telephone"?  A Google search brings up nothing.

The canonical cite for this work is Allport and Postman's old
stuff...there has been relatively little systematic empirical work since
on that particular problem, although there is a great deal of work on
related issues in network diffusion (both empirical and theoretical).
Gabriel Lawson and I have recently revisited the original A&P data, and
are working on this problem vis a vis the flow of crisis information
through interpersonal networks.  We presented some of this at the recent
NAACSOS conference in Pittsburgh; a very brief summary is available in
the online proceedings (search for NAACSOS).

-Carter