hi everyone,
                       i am not sure that the parallel between the telephone
game and the data stream of bush/cheney responses to kerry
statements holds. in the game there seems to be some attempt
on the part of the participants to transmit in a reasonably
accurate manner. distortion enters into the process in the forms
of mistakes of various sorts. in the political data stream the intent
seems to be one of  parsing the statements of an opponent with
the intent of extracting material for political advantage. by making
claims about what someone else "said" with this intent, the
distortion is deliberate.  now, that could parallel the legal arena
and the use of evidence
with best wishes
pat

--On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 5:21 PM -0400 David Carpe
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> something that jumped to mind when reading this again is the inference
> based logic approach used by lawyers to "model clues and evidence" for
> purposes of corroborating stories from multiple parties....in fact, the
> nsa (natl security agency) presented at a conference i was at earlier
> this year discussing the use of this approach to model information for
> open source intelligence gathering, though the logic is similar.
>
> for example (pardon the example, trying to make it marginally relevant) -
> multiple parties witness and/or hear about a crime through direct and
> indirect sources - like one person saw 'the back of the head' (hairstyle,
> length, color, body type)...another saw other parts, another heard about
> what the person looked like or sounded like and so on...and as the stories
> spread to other parties, the facts change (now 4 hair color variations, 2
> hair styles etc as the police and investigators are questioning
> sources)...using a flow chart of sorts (per the nsa example),  individuals
> sources will be rated according to various criteria (namely the areas of
> credibility, reliability, first/second hand knowledge etc) and then facts
> mapped to one another alongside the dialogue and notes (the cited hair
> colors for example)..
>
> at any rate, my point: one place to look for substantial research could be
> the world of criminal law, evidence and associated support for legitimacy
> of evidence...information flow is critical, as some case foundations are
> built on hearsay prior to collection of facts and evidence...and in some
> cases, the testimony itself could be taken as telephone endgame...just my
> opinion...law enforcement must study this quite seriously (e.g. those
> training guys who preach NLP to elicit information and determine
> reliability through personality profiling...)
> -dave
>

> At 05:12 PM 8/24/2004, Carter T. Butts wrote:
>> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
>>
>> Valdis wrote:
>>> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
>>>
>>> Is there any serious research on the distortion of information as it
>>> travels along a network path -- similar to the popular children's game
>>> of "Telephone"?  A Google search brings up nothing.
>>
>> The canonical cite for this work is Allport and Postman's old
>> stuff...there has been relatively little systematic empirical work since
>> on that particular problem, although there is a great deal of work on
>> related issues in network diffusion (both empirical and theoretical).
>> Gabriel Lawson and I have recently revisited the original A&P data, and
>> are working on this problem vis a vis the flow of crisis information
>> through interpersonal networks.  We presented some of this at the recent
>> NAACSOS conference in Pittsburgh; a very brief summary is available in
>> the online proceedings (search for NAACSOS).
>>
>> -Carter

> David Carpe, Principal & Founder
> [...]

patrick doreian
professor and chair
department of sociology
2406 WWPH
university of pittsburgh
Phone: (412) 648-7584
Fax:       (412) 648-2799
email: [log in to unmask]
            [log in to unmask] (for the journal of mathematical sociology)