I reiterate: There are clear issues of data quality here.  Police often
make charges that turn out to be false.

The overall project will be interesting in terms of how you will want
to deal with this.  I would recommend that, once you have made your
"best estimate" as to which characterizations are real, you might want
to do some sensitivity analyses.  For example, assume that some percent
of the characterizations you discarded as unreal were real; and some
percent of the characterizations you accepted as real were not.  I would
suggest using fairly high percents (30% - 70%) in terms of police
allegations that people are dealers or terrorists.  If the allegations
proved out in a jury trial, I might lower this by quite a lot; but if
(in the USA at least) a person pled guilty, this is often just a
statement of helplessness and thus may have little impact on the
percents (30 - 70) I suggested above.

It should prove interesting.

best
sam

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467
Fax 1 917 438 0894

>>> John Taylor <[log in to unmask]> 8/3/2004 3:46:14 PM >>>

FYI - The recent train bombing was coordinated with the help of a major
drug
dealer and the explosives were exchanged for drugs.  You can probably
find out
more about it in open source / Internet accounts.  Good hunting.

JT

Lebanese man arrested over Madrid train bombings
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

MADRID, Spain

A Lebanese man with a police record for drug trafficking was arrested
in
connection with the March 11 train bombings in Madrid, officials said
Thursday.
Semaan Gaby Eid was detained Wednesday night outside his home in
Madrid's
Carabanchel neighborhood, police and Interior Ministry officials said.
He was not immediately charged, but cell phones, bank statements and
documents were confiscated as possible evidence, according to a
ministry statement.
"He is a person whom we consider to be linked directly to suspects who
are in
jail," police spokesman Antonio Nevado said in a telephone interview.
More than 50 people have been arrested so far and 16 are in prison,
including
at least two who allegedly were directly involved in the bombings. Most
are
Moroccan.
Islamic militants with suspected ties to al-Qaida are blamed for the
attack -
nearly simultaneous blasts that ripped through four commuter trains,
killing
191 people and injuring more than 1,600.
The Lebanese man arrested Wednesday was allegedly traced to the
suburban
Madrid neighborhood of Leganes where seven suspects blew themselves up
on April 3
in an apartment as police were closing in on them.
The Interior Ministry said he was carrying false documents identifying
him as
Gabriel Salim Aoun, born in Mozambique in March 1960.
Just hours after the bombings, the suspect was in the area of a
farmhouse
outside Madrid where the bombs were prepared, the ministry said.
"We have had witness verification, but I cannot reveal any more details
about
that," Nevado said.