This is fascinating...  I have seen similar patterns in organizations
and other complex human systems.  They also discuss this
underconnectivity pattern in sport teams along the lines we discussed a
few months back [interconnectivity of soccer teams].

Complexity science tells us we will find similar patterns in diverse
areas of study...

Enjoy!

Valdis