"Can anyone tell me how long these photo files need to be kept? Do they
become part of the employee file?"

Welcome to the zoo Teena!
At our municipal office here we consider ID badges/photos part of building
security not HR.
We file under Administration - Physical Security: Facility ID/Access Cards.
Retention is SO+1year on site, 2 years in storage then destroy with
authority (meaning meaning staff must ask RIM personnel for permission to
destroy).
SO = superceded or obsolete when either a new photo is issued or the
employee terminates.
Hope that helps

Patti Kraatz
Technician, Information Mgmt & Archives
Council & Administrative Services
150 Frederick St., Kitchener ON  N2G 4J3