>As might be obvious, I generally come down on the side of automatic.

Ditto, on the side of manual =) (Larry)

Thanks, Larry, I thought I was alone and was too much of a chicken to
express such! In smaller organizations such as mine (900 employees), there
is no question that this has to be done manually. We (me, IT, management)
have not done a good job (yet) of training.  Our policy is simple - IT
backups of the email system are for disaster recovery only and are destroyed
after 7 days. Email correspondence that is determined to be record copy (by
the employee) must be printed and filed or saved to a network drive.
Messages in individual inboxes or even in the delete folder stay there until
deleted completely by the user, then the 7 day retention of backups comes
into play.

I have yet to figure out if email correspondence to and from City Council
members who use their individual and personal email accounts (not the City's
system) to correspond with citizens are "public record".  When asked, I tell
them (the councillors) yes, keep your correspondence a year plus current,
like all other correspondence.

OK - hit me, y'all!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon G. Blackstock, CRM
Central Records Administrator
Lakewood City Clerk's Office
480 South Allison Parkway
Lakewood CO 80226-3127
303-987-7091 (office)
303-987-7088 (fax)
www.lakewood.org

Lakewood's records management objectives: 1) Information is available when
needed; 2) Records of permanent value are preserved; 3) Non-permanent
records are destroyed per approved retention schedules; 4) Discarded paper
is recycled.