From: "Tyler, Judy K Ms DACH-Ft Hood" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: RAINdrip: 30 year old documents and records still tell a tale

Steve,

I have to agree with you on this one.  My husband was in the Army from
1972 until 1975, and is currently in the Air Force Reserves.  The only
record he still has from his Army days is his DD Form 214, which he
still has a need for on occasion.  Being a records manager for the Army,
and having inspected the recordkeeping system of reserve units that have
been assigned to our Command, it's not surprising that records are
missing.  I also noticed that one of the documents presented on the news
regarding President Bush's service was a Memorandum for Record (MFR).
If it was indeed a MFR, they are not usually part of the official
personnel record.  I have recorded many MFRs, which have a short-term
retention.  The primary purpose was to record an event, in case action
was needed to be taken at a later date, but 35 years later is not the
intent on the use of a MFR.

My 2 cents worth.

Judy K. Tyler, CRM
Records Management Officer