From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Gary Vocks
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 3:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RAINdrip: 30 year old documents and records still tell a
tale

During my 20+ years on active duty in Uncle Sam's canoe club I did a few
mfr's.  They were usually to "cma" when I was ordered/cajoled/persuaded by a
senior to do something that I knew shouldn't be done and that I thought had
the possibility of jumping up and biting me in the tail at some later date.
(This was long before the days of "whistleblower protection" and all the
other "fraud, waste, and abuse" reporting systems that are around now.)  I
actually still had a few of those little memos in my personal files almost
20 years after I retired.  (Yes, I'm paranoid!)  I finally pitched almost
all of my service record, except for the DD214's and my retirement orders,
just a few years ago when I moved into a smaller house.

Anyhow, my take on a "memo for record" is that it may not have ever made it
into any official file, much less an official service record.

Gary Vocks