I don't have any information regarding the ARMA project, but I have to admit that on occasion I create a legal size document when a document needs to be recorded. Unfortunately, recording a legal size document is cost effective because more information can be presented per page, and the fee is per page.

The recording fee last year was $11 for the first page (included $5 e-commerce fee) and $5 for each additional page.  This year the recording fee is $7 for the first page (includes $1 e-commerce fee) and $5 for each additional page.

Our county recorder requires compliance with State of Iowa document formatting standards, which specify a three inch header for the first page of the document with a type size of at least 10 point in size and one inch side and bottom margins.  This standard is effective 7/2005, but they've asked we comply now. If we don't comply with these standards after 7/2005, there is an additional charge of $10 per document.

In addition, the Iowa Department of Revenue requires filing the "Declaration of Value" only on legal size paper. In contrast, the DNR has recently allowed filing the Groundwater Hazard Statements on letter sized pages, but ONLY if the instructions are also recorded, generally located on the reverse of that form. (requiring two pages filed instead of one)

Is Iowa the only state that has these document formatting requirements?

On another note, I have recently received my "Certified Municipal Clerk" designation!  Just to toot my own horn.

Shari Coughenour, CMC
City Clerk
City of Marshalltown
24 N. Center Street
641-754-5701 ph
641-754-5717 fax

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/09/04 12:36PM >>>
does anyone out there in RM world have any data or information from the old ARMA Project ELF (Eliminate Legal Files).

I want to put together a CBA for my department showing why we should do the switch.

thanks

--
Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va