My company uses the OSHA requirement and keeps them 30 years after termination.  We are a state owned utility.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/10/04 03:43PM >>>
Hello List,
  I have been reviewing the archives on the topic of medical records kept by employers and the retention applied.  I did not really see anything about retention other than one email for 6 years and a lot of talk about the separate filing classifications needed for HR documentation.  My company is attempting to keep  such medical records permanently and not just the duration of the inactive/terminated records. We have a separate category for OSHA requirements being 30 years.   I do not think this is wise and am looking for references as to why or why not to keep this information so long.  Can any of you point me in the right direction adn or comment?

Thanks,
    Amy Harrelson

Confidentiality Notice:
This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately either by phone or reply to this e-mail, and delete all copies of this message.