Hi Rick,

If I understand well what you're interested in doing, it may not be too
far from the recent work of Butts & Pixley on a graph-theoretic(structural)
model of event history data:

Butts, C.T., & Pixley, J.E. (2004). A structural approach to the
representation of life history data. Journal of Mathematical Sociology,
vol. 28, pp. 81-124.

I think the paper is available online at Carter Butts' site but I'm not so
sure. Otherwise google it unless you have access to ScienceDirect where I
think JMS is stored.

Best,

--Moses

  M.A. Boudourides