Von: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im
Auftrag von Lisa Peters
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. September 2004 14:42
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: contact diaries

Dear all,

I am doing my PhD research on network utilisation by migrant elites, and
-amongst other things- I want to use 'contact diaries' as a method of data
collection. That is, I want to ask participants to keep track of all their
encounters with others, either by mail, face-to-face contact or telephone
etc for a period of at least 30 days. The aim is to get to know which kind
of contacts they use for what purpose. I know Michael Gurevitch used this
method in 1961, and his thesis is very helpful to me, but I cannot find any
other research that uses the same method. I know there is some research done
on things as drinking patterns using the diary method, but not when it comes
to everyday contacts.

Can anybody help me out on this? Do you know research that does use this
method or do you have some do's and don't's? I would be most grateful for
any suggestion.

Best regards,

Lisa Peters

Lisa Peters, PhD student