I suspect that this has been done before and would appreciate any pointers to existing work.

 I am working on a network analysis of presidential cabinet members and the various presidents for whom they have served.  The goal is to understand which presidents chose cabinet members with high degrees of participation in past administrations.

Nodes are people.  I use arcs to show the directed relationship of for what president people have worked.  For instance, George H. W. Bush has a directed edge pointing to Reagan (in his capacity as vice president), and is himself the recipient of all the directed edges of his cabinet members.  The arc weight could either be years of service or in how many different capacities a particular person served a particular president.  Color of the node might be political party to reveal the few times presidents choose cabinet members from other parties.

Many thanks,

Peter Hook

PhD Student

SLIS