        BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER

Thanks to Ken Tracey's posting earlier this Sunday afternoon, four more of
us
were blessed with nice views of the BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, who was feeding
with the many other shorebirds at the Gulf Harbors Golf Course, which is
located on the west side of US Rt. 19 in New Port Richey, on Floramar
Terrace--the second redlight north of Rt. 54.  See his posting for more
directions.

I arrived shortly after 5pm, and was engaged in identifying, and watching
some Pectoral Sandpipers--only the second time I had seen thia species, when
Ken, and three other birders arrived on the golf cart path, that borders the
driving range, that was partially flooded.

Shortly after he arrived, Ken spotted the BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, and
during the next half hour, we all had excellent views of this lovel--dark,
beady eyed bird, who spent about half his time in the grass, when not
feeding in the bare earth area with the other waders.

Some of the other species present were:

Black-necked Stilt

N.Shoveler

Red Head

Chimney Swifts

Lesser Yellowlegs

Dowitchers

Semipalmated Sandpipers

Least Sandpipers

Willets

Shortly before leaving, several Wood Storks were flying in.

The diversity of species in this small area was impressive.

Jim Swarr,   St. Petersburg, FL       [log in to unmask]