A casual ride of the length of Alligator and Bald Pts. today (including my
yard), on a rather cool day with breezy northern wind, showed Mockingbird
numbers seemed greatly enhanced.  My yard two usual birds were increased to
a minimum of four possibly more, and numbers at both ends of Bald Pt. (at
dusk), and Alligator Pt. tip at noon, produced literally dozens.  Although
I do not have empirical data, it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that
extra birds had arrived today, or maybe yesterday with the cool front.  At
dusk at the last couple of hundred yards at the end of Bald Pt. I estimated
at least two dozen and a half giving their late afternoon bedding down
calls.  Mockers are typically numerous at this "tips", but this influx with
real, and couldn't be accounted for with just augmentation of local young
of the year.

Beautyberries and poke weed berries are ripe now, and many birds were
concentrated around the plants.  In years pasts, Falls particularly, I've
seen flocks of Mockingbirds around food service centers where much more
normal numbers had been before the weather changes, providing major
influxes.  It seems quite obvious that migrants have invaded!

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL