Yes indeed, Swarm, Repast and Jung (among a few others) are excellent
toolkits but, as a mathematician, I am tempted to say that computer
experimentations need to be accompanied with serious mathematical work, in
particular related to existence (convergence, stability, path-dependence,
ergodicity etc.) theorems of the ivariant measures or the absorbing states
or of any sort of fluctuations observed in the corresponding computer
simulations. From this point of view, there is plenty of work in the area
of networks and game theory (for instance, Bala & Goyal, Skyrms &
Pemantle, Jackson & coworkers etc.) but not so much in the proper
mathematical theory of social networks. Of course, a striking exception is
the recent work of Bonacich & Liggett (on exchange networks) and Liggett &
coworkers (on interacting particle systems - during the last 30 years). My
point is that social networks have been always an amazing paradigm of
applied mathematics research and their study needs to dissemenate further
inside the international mathematical community in order to get more advances
both in formal sociological theories and related mathematical fields. The
roads in social research opened up by such brilliant mathematicians as
Harary, Kemeny, Johnsen (just to mention a few names) should not be
neglected to be explored in the present so-called information age.

--Moses Boudourides