Good afternoon,

Lately, I've thought a lot about that myself, looking back on my previous career. I'm a former journalist and current graduate student in the University of Illinois at Chicago sociology program. My M.A. research (which I'm analyzing presently) is on a related topic: how entry-level journalists use networks to get their first jobs.

I'd be happy to correspond with you privately about what I've found in terms of literature on journalists themselves, etc. The long story short is that there isn't very much. Journalists are a difficult group to study, in part because building a sampling frame is time consuming and technically/practically challenging. Journalism also is a relatively small field, compared with, say, teaching or engineering, and that, of course, doesn't encourage research on journalists.

Shawn Neidorf
UIC Sociology

Eelke Heemskerk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with some references to prior work on the role of social networks for Journalism.

It seems obvious that a good network is a crucial asset for a journalist, especially so for research journalists. I'm quite unfamiliar with this field though, and so far my search was not very fruitful. I'm sure there are people here who spend some time on these issues. All suggestions are more than welcome,

Best,

Eelke

Eelke Heemskerk
Amsterdam School for Social Science Research
University of Amsterdam
Kloveniersburgwal 48
1012 CX Amsterdam
The Netherlands