-----Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----

To: [log in to unmask]
From: Julien Le Nestour <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2004-12-15 20h20
Subject: Best tools to collect the data

*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****

Hi everybody,

I am a PhD candidate in organizational sociology in France and I would
like to conduct my firsts network analysis. I have read a lot on the
techniques of analysis once the data is already gathered, but I have
some questions on the best ways to collect the data:

1) _The design of the questionnaires or surveys_: Are there any examples
of questionnaires already used, advices on how to design questions in
surveys, etc... available? I have found one example on Ron Burt's site,
but I would like to have some more detailed and practical informations
on how to design a survey according to specific analysis.

2) _The administration of the questionnaires_: In particular, are there
any available tools which provide with a simple and easy way to collect
data through web-based questionnaires? In addition, how do you manage
the anonymity of the respondents with the necessity of having the names
of the persons collected?
I will use SNA only in small organizations (<100) and I am faced with a
lot of such practical problems. If anyone could give me some references
to begin with, I would definitely be very grateful.

Best regards,

Julien

--
Julien Le Nestour

Tel: +1 713 513 2641 (US office hours, usually voicemail)
Skype login: julien_ln

Adress until 07/31/2005:
1955 Fountain View #12
77057 Houston TX