Ryan,

I work with David Stark at Columbia Sociology (where Harrison White is now),
and we have a paper that tries to elaborate on the "narrative challenge",
unsing sequences of network changes.

We address the challenge posed by White in I and C:

"Social structures often are made to seem the antipodes to, or at least
unrelated to details and nuances of, sequencing in timing. This is in part
because of the influence of structuralism. Social times should instead be
accounted as much part of structure as are network spaces" (Harrison
White, 1992 p. 77).

Link to the paper:
http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/digitalcenter/event/Stark_Vedres_social_times.pdf

Best
Balazs

B a l a z s   V e d r e s
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology
Central European University
http://www.ceu.hu/soc_ant/index.htm
  and fellow at the Santa Fe Institute