Happy New Year, SOCNET!

Thanks for bringing up knowledge management, Don. I have always been puzzled
that there is not more active dialogue between the KM and SNA communities.

For an extremely concise overview of KM within a much grander survey of SNA,
I recommend this fine paper: "The Network Paradigm in Organizational
Research: A Review and Typology," by Stephen P. Borgatti and Pacey C.
Foster, Journal of Management 2003 29(6) 991-1013.

The entire paper is at

http://www.analytictech.com/borgatti/papers/borgatti%20and%20foster%202003%2
0-%20the%20network%20paradigm.pdf

Or you can skip straight to the KM section, complete with links to all the
relevant entries of the bibliography, by going here:

http://connectedness.blogspot.com/2004/08/social-networks-and-knowledge.html

Though I think skepticism of KM is entirely justified, I do find T.D.
Wilson's treatment quite opinionated -- really an editorial masquerading as
a research paper. (Not much of a disguise, with a title like "The Nonsense
of KM.") I guess he is trying to protect the sanctity of academe from the
messy world of business and marketing. But SNA strikes me as a field with
rich potential in both academe and business (including businesspeople who
work in KM) so I don't see Wilson accomplishing much other than inciting
more divisiveness.

Anyway, Borgatti et al's paper certainly aims a healthy dose of skepticism
at KM, but without laboring so hard to document the marketing double-talk of
KM. Instead they very constructively point to research in SNA that is
relevant to anyone who wants KM taken seriously. Or put another way, they
suggest underutilized research of SNA that could have more impact in the
business world of KM practitioners if it were marketed effectively.

Best regards,
Bruce

Bruce Hoppe, PhD
Community Networks