violence, I am reminded of Charles Tilly's classical work.

_The Vendee_ showed the network basis of counterrevolution in France.

Tilly, Charles. 1969. "Collective Violence in European Perspective." Pp.
4-45 in Violence in America, edited by Hugh Graham and Tedd Gurr.
Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office. was written at a time of
major civil strife in the US, and argued for a network approach.

Tilly, Charles. 1984. Big Structures, Large Processes, Huge Comparisons.
New York: Russell Sage Foundation.  is a really nice summary. I still
assign the first half in my network course.

And Tilly has done a huge number of studies on contentious violence in
Europe. (I feel if I can write one paper for every book of his, I am doing
well.)

And Tilly's one-time student (and my classmate) Joe Feagin took advantage
of post-riot prisioners in Detroit having a lot of time and anger to
interview them and found a network basis of riot participation:
Feagin, Joe and Harlan Hahn. 1973. Ghetto Revolt: The Politics of Violence
in American Cities. New York: Macmillan.

Now, I haven't kept up with the field, but these studies are all relevant.

Barry