to answer the second question, richard rogers' issue crawler web-based
software is a great tool for longitudinal collection of link structure
data, with visual map capability built in (see
http://www.govcom.org/Issuecrawler_instructions.htm);  and for instant
gratification, check out www.touchgraph.com.

chrs,

david

                      UBC.CA                   To:      [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      [log in to unmask]         Subject: Re: [SOCNET] simple network diagrams tool?
                      .EDU

                      01/24/2005 03:26
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to huerta

I can suggest Network Insight for the Mac which I use now and is based on
the JUNG java library, if I recall. It creates the following networks:

Star, Ring, Complete, Heirarchical, Spiderweb, Distributed, Mesh,
Erdos-Renyi Random, Small World, Scale Free and Fitness Models (titles
listed in the generation screen) and the generator simply asks how many
nodes you'd like.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that could be
used to create maps of web sites. Specifically, I'm looking to create link
visual maps of web sites to look at issues of structure.

Any ideas?

-----------------
Timothy R. Huerta, Ph.D.
Scientist, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology & Evaluation
Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute

725 - 828 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1L8
Tel: (604) 875-4111 ext 68878
Fax: (604) 875-5179